|SIEU: Bistrita judet|
SIEU: US Commission No. ROCE-0176 - Bistrita County
The cemetery is located in Sieu, near the other cemeteries of the village, cod 4412, judet Bistrita, Romania at probably 4705 2423, 32 km. from Bistrita at 4708 2429. The alternate names are Nagysajo (Hungarian) and Gross-Schogen (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 64 and in 1930 was 98. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker.
No special sections. The 19th century marble, granite, sandstone, limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation, and gate repair. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. The gate was stolen, but after a time it was replaced.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Titieni Mihai, Sieu. [January 2003]