|SIBIU: Judet Sibiu|
US Commission No. ROCE-0610 -
The cemetery is located at Calea Dumbravii no. 52, Sibiu, jud. Sibiu. The alternate names are Nagyszeben (Hungarian) and Hermannstadt (German.) 4548 2409, 133.9 miles NW of Bucharest and 80 km from Alba Iulia. Current town population is over 100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was five in 1850-1851, nine in 1857, 168 in 1869-1870, 429 in 1880 and 1,308 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was May 2000 (Balazs Stefan.)
The cemetery is 2 km from the congregation that used it. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has Jewish symbols on wall or gate mark the cemetery. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. The pre- and post- WWII size is 80 X 200 m. 500-5000 stones are visible with 500-5,000 in original location and 1-20 stones not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth and water drainage are not problems. No special sections. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, slate, and "other" memorial markers have iron decoration or lettering, or are carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, Romanian, and Hungarian.
The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Frequently, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents stop at the never vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Albu Julia. Within the cemetery limits is a preburial house with a tahara, preburial house, and an ohel. No threats.
Unnamed interviewees. [January 2003]