SEBES: Alba, Transylvania Print

 

US Commission No. ROCE-0012 -

The cemetery is located at Str. Cinepisti no. 44, Sebes, judet Alba, 4558 2334, 162.5 miles NW of Bucharest and 60 km from Sibiu. Alternate names: Szaszsebes (Hungarian); Muhlbach(German) Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Sirbu Mugurel, Sebes.
  • The Jewish Community of Alba Iulia, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 4, Alba Iulia, Romania. Phone: 00/40/58/817840
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street, no. 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • "A.D. Xenopol" Institute of History, Lascar Catargi Street, no. 15, 6400- Iasi Judet Iasi, Moldavia , Romania. Tel. 032/212614; e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Director: Alexandru Zub.
  • Key holder and caretaker: Moga Gheorghe, Str. Cinepisti no. 44, Sebes, judet Alba.
  • Interested: Abraham Geza, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 4, Alba Iulia, Romania. Phone: 00/40/58/817840

The 1869-1870 Jewish population by census was 33, in 1880 was 65 and in 1930 was 117. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1960. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery is 3 km from the congregation that used it.

The suburban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 25 X 40 m. 20-100 stones are visible, all in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones have Hebrew, German, Romanian, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Pre- and post-WWII size is the same. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.

Lucian Nastasă, Clinicilor Street, no. 19, Cluj, Romania, tel. 064/190107. Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it visited the site and completed the survey on 25 October 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Tr. Rotaru (coord.), Recensamintul din 1880. Transilvania, Cluj, Edit. Staff, 1997.
  • Kalman Weszpremy, A magyarorszagi zsidok statistikaja, Debrecen, 1907.
  • Recensamintul general al populatiei Romaniei, 1930, vol.II, publicat de Sabin Manuila, Bucuresti, 1938.
  • Lajos Venetianer, A magyar zsidosag tortenete, Budapest, 1922
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Istoria evreilor din Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 1994.
  • Izvoare si marturii referitoare la evreii din Romania, I-III/1-2, Bucuresti, 1986-1999.
  • Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , Evreii din Transilvania in epoca emanciparii (1790-1867), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 2000

On 24 October 2000, Lucian Nastasă interviewed Moga Gheorghe, Str. Cinepisti no. 44, Sebes, judet Alba. [January 2003]

Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 07:30