|SAVENI: Botosani judet, Moldavia region|
US Commission No. ROCE-0196
SAVENI: (judet Botosani)
The cemetery is located at Str. Stefan Luchian no. 32, Saveni, judet Botosani, Moldavia region, Romania at 4757 2652, 245.6 miles N of Bucharest and 38 km from Botosani. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 934 in 1899 and was 1,764 in 1930. On 1July 1940, the Romanian army massacred many Jews. Between June and July 1944, many Jewish families were deported to Oltenia. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was Marcus Moisa in 1993. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 2 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall and fence with a gate that locks surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 200 x 400 m. 500-5000 stones are visible. 500-5,000 are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and slate memorial markers have Hebrew and Romanian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements and portraits on stones, sculpted monuments, and multi-stone monuments. Some have iron decoration or lettering, carved relief-decoration, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. The site has memorial to Jewish soldiers.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are in village residential setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Occasionally,
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Baltoi Dumitru, Str. Stefan Luchian no. 40, Saveni, judet Botosani on 11 January 2001. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 07:29|