|SARMASAG: Salaj County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0487 -
The cemetery is located at Sarmasag, code 4794, judet Salaj, 4721 2250, 255.3 miles NW of Bucharest and 35 km from Zalau. Alternate name: Sarmasag (Hungarian) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 0, in 1857 was 2, in 1880 was 21, in 1900 was 55, in 1910 was 32, and in 1930 was 48. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and were deported to Auschwitz on May 31, June 6 and 8. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 750 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on September 29, 2000 using the following documentation:
The interviewed Kis Istvan, Sarmasag. [January 2003]