|SANMIHAIU de CAMPIE: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0174 -
The cemetery is located at Sanmihaiu de Campie, near the village, code 4457, judet Bistrita, 4654 2420, 190.4 miles NNW of Bucharest and 49 km. from Bistrita. Alternative names: Michelsdorf (German), Mezoszentmihaly (Hungarian), SINMIHAIU DE CIMPIE and FRUNZI (Romanian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1857 Jewish population by census was six; in 1880 was eight; in 1900 was 23; and in 1930 was 72. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial in 20th century.
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 10 m x 10 m. 1-20 stones are visible. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The granite, flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 25, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Bungardean Dumitru, Sanmihaiu de Campie [January 2003]