|RUSII-MUNTI: Mures county, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0414 -
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 18 and from 1930 census was 31.In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery dates from 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural woods/forest hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone, marble and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. No maintenance. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. (The fence is broken.) Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]