|RIMNICU VILCEA: (Vilcea County)|
The cemetery is located at Rimnicu Vilcea, 1009, Calea lui Traian, no. 253, Vilcea County, Romania. 4506 2422, 96.6 miles WNW of Bucharest and 60 km. from Pitesti. Current town population is over 100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was two hundred in 1889 and 197 in 1930. Buried there are two Cohanim, Gustav Katz and Solomon Koch; and Sami Stern, former president of Jewish Community of Rimnicu Vilcea. The Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1994. Jewish community that also used this cemetery: Brezoi. The unlandmarked cemetery is 35 km from Rimnicu Vilcea and the congregation that used it.
The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall and a gate that locks surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 70 X 40 m. 20-100 stones are visible in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1890. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, slate, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Some have iron decoration or lettering, portraits on stones, and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, and Romanian. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 06 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Benedict Victor on 06 July 2001 in Rimnicu Vilcea. [January 2003]