You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania RIMNICU VILCEA: (Vilcea County)
RIMNICU VILCEA: (Vilcea County) PDF Print E-mail

 

The cemetery is located at Rimnicu Vilcea, 1009, Calea lui Traian, no. 253, Vilcea County, Romania. 4506 2422, 96.6 miles WNW of Bucharest and 60 km. from Pitesti. Current town population is over 100,000 with 10-100 Jews.

  • Mayor Sabau Traian, Town Hall of Rimnicu Vilcea, General Praporgescu
    Street no. 34, tel.: 0040-50-731015
  • The Jewish Community of Pitesti, 19 Noiembrie Street no. 1, Romania,
    tel.: 0040-48-632300
  • The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street no. 7-9,
  • Caretaker: Benedict Victor, Calea lui Traian, no. 253, Rimnicu Vilcea

The Jewish population by census was two hundred in 1889 and 197 in 1930. Buried there are two Cohanim, Gustav Katz and Solomon Koch; and Sami Stern, former president of Jewish Community of Rimnicu Vilcea. The Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1994. Jewish community that also used this cemetery: Brezoi. The unlandmarked cemetery is 35 km from Rimnicu Vilcea and the congregation that used it.

The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall and a gate that locks surround the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 70 X 40 m. 20-100 stones are visible in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 1890. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, slate, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments. Some have iron decoration or lettering, portraits on stones, and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, and Romanian. No known mass graves.

The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard.
Adjacent property is Catholic cemetery. Rarely, individual tours and private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation by regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house. The chapel is now the caretaker's house

Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 06 July 2001 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul general al populatiunei Romaniei din decembrie 1899(The
    General Census of the Population of Romania from December 1889), Bucuresti,
  • Lito-tipografia L. Motzatzeanu, 1900
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei Romaniei din 29 decembrie 1930, vol. II (The General Census of the Population of Romania from 29 December 1930, vol. II), Bucuresti, 1938
  • N. Iorga, Istoria evreilor in terile noastre (The History of the Jews of our Countries), Bucuresti, 1913.
  • M. Schwarzfeld, O ochire asupra istoriei evreilor din timpurile cele mai departate pina la anul 1850, (A look upon the Jewish History from The beginning until 1850), Bucuresti, 1887
  • C. Iancu, Evreii din Romania 1866-1919 (The Jews from Romania), Bucuresti
    1996

Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Benedict Victor on 06 July 2001 in Rimnicu Vilcea. [January 2003]

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution