RASTOLITA: Mures County. Transylvania Print

 

US Commission No. ROCE-0411 -

The cemetery is located at Rastolita, near the village, cod 4228 judet Mures, 4659 2502, 183.4 miles NNW of Bucharest, 36 km. from Reghin. Alternate name: Restolcza (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Mogila Gheorghe, tel. 532104, 531416, Rastolita
  • The Jewish Community of Targu Mures, A. Filimon Street, no. 23, cod 4300, Tel. 0040 - 65 161810, Tîrgu Mures, Romania.
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street, no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Gliga Dumitru, Rastolita

The 1880 Jewish population by census was 73 and in 1930 was 86. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century. The isolated hill and hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence surrounds the site. with a gate that locks. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 x 20 m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble and granite, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul din 1850. Transilvania (1850 Jewish Population Census. Transylvania) coord.: Traian Rotariu, Cluj 1996.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, 1994, in Romanian, Budapest, 1995, in Hungarian
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei din 29 decembrie 1930 (The General Census of the Population from December 29, 1930), vol. II, Bucuresti 1938
  • Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localitatilor din Transilvania (The Historical Dictionary of Localities in Transylvania), vol. I-II, Bucuresti, 1967

No interviews. [January 2003]