|RADAUTI: Suceava Judet, Moldavia region (Radevits, Radautz, Radóc )|
Alternate names: Rădăuţi [Rom], Radevits, ראַדעװיץ [Yid], Radautz [Ger], Radóc [Hun], Radowce [Pol], Radivtsi [Ukr], Radautsi, Рэдэуци [Rus], Radauts, Radevitz, Radivits, Radovitch, Radovits, Radewitz, Radoyts, Rădăutio, Ukrainian: Радівці. Located at 47°51' N, 25°55' E at the foot of the Obcinele Bucovinea, 37 km from Suceava and 31 miles S of Chernivtsi (Tschernowitz), was first documented in 1392 as Radomir's village. Today: in Suceava County, NE Moldavia. Rădăuţi is the third largest urban settlement in the county, with a 2011 population of 22,145 inhabitants.
UPDATE: A group has initiated cemetery documentation process. The headstones are photographed and then a database is prepared. As for this moment, about 3,000 names (out of the approx. 7,700) are documented and the work continues. Website with list of all names recorded at this phase, using (with permission) an extension of the Jewishgen JOWBR format (plus Hebrew names and dates). A small portion of the names is already linked to headstone medium-to-high quality photographs. [January 2007] UPDATE: Site has been transferred to the KehilaLink (ShtetLink). [Mar 2013]
Jewish history of Rădăuţi: "A Jewish community was present before the Habsburg takeover, and is attested to have been overseen by a starost. Many Jews fleeing the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (as well as other Habsburg areas) from intense persecution and anti-Semitism during the Middle Ages settled in Rădăuţi. The community was allowed a degree of self-administration, and witnessed a period of prosperity and cultural effervescence during the 19th century. The majority of Rădăuţi's Jewish population was exterminated during the Holocaust. Persecutions became widespread around 1938, when Jews were harassed and attacked by authorities under the Octavian Goga government; they were confirmed by anti-Semitic legislation passed by the Ion Gigurtu cabinet, and, in late 1940, exceptionally violent following the establishment of the National Legionary State. In October 1941, all Jews present in Rădăuţi (more than 10,000) were deported to concentration camps in Transnistria." [Mar 2013]
Jewish history. [Mar 2013]
RADAUTI: (Suceava judet) US Commission No. ROCE-0616
Alternate names: Radautio/Radautz/Radiwei/Radowce/Radevitz/Radivits/ Radovitch/Radovits. Located at 47°51' 25°55° in Suceava County, Moldavia region. The cemetery is in Radauti, Suceava judet, Moldavia region, 47°50' 25°55', 55 km from Suceava. Present town population is with under 10 Jews.
The Census from 1880 registered 2862 Jewish inhabitants. The 1930 Census registered 5611 Jewish inhabitants. The Jewish community was founded in 1845. In 1941, the Jews were deported to Transnistria. Prominent residents include Dr. Iaacov Nacht and Sabetai ben Itac-scholar rabbi. This Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century. The last known Jewish burial in cemetery was in May 15, 1999 (Navrotchi Fani). The unlandmarked Conservative cemetery was 2 km from the congregation that used it. Putna (Suceava judet); Solca (Suceava judet); and Arbore (Suceava judet) also used this cemetery.
The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall and a gate that locks surround. The pre- and post-WWII size is 500 m X 300 m. More than 5,000 graves are visible in the cemetery. 1 to 20 are not in original location. More than 75% are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. Gravestones date from the end of the 18th century through the 20th century. Marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and other material are rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and flat stones with carved relief double tombstones and multistone monuments. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, Yiddish, Polish, German, and Romanian. The cemetery contains monuments to Holocaust victims and Jewish soldiers. The cemetery contains a marked mass grave.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery purposes only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Frequently, the cemetery is visited by organized individual tours and private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish). The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance. There is a regular unpaid caretaker. There is a preburial house with a tahara.
Security, weather erosion, pollution, and vegetation are slight threats.
He visited on July 24, 2000 and interviewed Popescu Constantin, str. Stefan cel Mare no. 134, Radauti, Suceava judet.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 01 March 2014 23:09|