|RADAUTI-PRUT: Botosani judet, Moldavia region|
US Commission No. ROCE-0195
The cemetery is in Radauti-Prut, Botosani judet, Moldavia region at 48°24' 26°49', 112 km from Suceava. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1899 Census registered 132 Jewish inhabitants. The 1930 Census registered 768 Jewish inhabitants. Between June and July 1944, many Jewish families were deported in Oltenia. This Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial in cemetery was in the 20th century. The unlandmarked Conservative cemetery is 3 km. from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open with permission. A continuous masonry wall and a gate that locks surround. The pre- and post-WWII size is 120 m X 160 m. 20 to 100 gravestones are visible. 1 to 20 are not in original location. 50% - 75% of the tombstones are broken or toppled. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
Tombstones date from the end of the 19th century through the 20th century. The marble, limestone, and sandstone tombstones are rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and flat stones with carved relief decoration. Some have portraits on stones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian.
The national Jewish community owns the cemetery property used for agricultural purposes. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Rarely, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents local residents stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance, but has a regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Security is a moderate threat. Weather erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are slight threats.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 07:23|