|PUGNESTI: judet Vaslui|
US Commission No. ROCE-0657 -
The cemetery is located in Pungesti, judet Vaslui, 4642 2720, 167.5 miles NNE of Bucharest and 34 km. from Vaslui. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1899 census was 62 and in 1930 was 254. Noteworthy Jewish residents of the community were Aizic Leib Roller, Gherson ben David, Matatia Landa - rabbis.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has Jewish symbols on wall or gate mark the cemetery. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 300 X 250 m. 20-100 stones are visible, in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from the end of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, and sandstone
The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. Within the cemetery boundaries is a house. Vegetation is a moderate threat moderate.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Mitocaru Vasile, com. Pungesti, judet Vaslui on 24 September 2000. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 24 January 2009 13:37|