|PRUNDU BARGUALUI: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0168 -
The cemetery is located in Prundu Bargaului, Brujeni Street no. 914, code 4440, judet Bistrita, Romania at 4713 2544, 193.0 miles N of Bucharest and 20 km. from Bistrita. The alternate names are Borgoprund (Hungarian), Burgau (German). Present town population is 5,000-25,000.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 86 and in 1930 was 325. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
No special sections. The 19th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones, some with traces of painting on their surfaces, have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. A private individual/s owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. No care now. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed no one. [January 2003]