|PODU TURCULUI: (judet Bacau)|
US Commission No. ROCE-0063 -
The Jewish population by 1838 census was 55 Jewish families, from 1899 census was 92 Jews, and in 1930 was 413. Noteworthy Jewish residents of the community were Goren Goldstein. The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial in 1952. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 400 m from the congregation that used it.
The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 120 X 60 m. 20-100 stones are visible. All gravestones are in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 20th century marble, limestone, and sandstone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. Some have portraits on stones. The Jewish Community of Bacau owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are in village residential setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, local residents stop. The never vandalized cemetery has no maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Burlui Ionel, Str. Sorana Topa nr.191, Podu Turcului, judet Bacau. Phone: 289092 on 24 September 2000. [January 2003]
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [April 2016]
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 April 2016 20:46|