|POCLUSA de BARCAU: Bihor County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0103 -
The cemetery is located in Poclusa de Barcãu, 3786, com. Chislaz, judet Bihor, Romania at 4716 2212, 271.0 miles NW of Bucharest and 18 km. from Marghita. Alternate names: Poklostelek (Hungarian.) Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 33, by 1900 census was 27, and in 1930 was 12. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the Oradea ghetto and on May 23, 25, 28-30, and June 1-5, 27 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in end of 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period. Probably, the Jews of Misca used the cemetery 5 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural/agricultural site by water has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all via a non-locking gate. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 20 x 70 m. 1-20 stones are in original location, all in original location. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation by local non-Jewish residents. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 1 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]