|PINCOTA: Arad County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Pincota, Cimitirului Street, no. 1, 2911, judet Arad, 4620 2142, 250.4 miles WNW of Bucharest and 21.0 miles ENE of Arad. Alternate names: Pankota ( Hungarian) and Pancota. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 124 and in 1910 was 174. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1938,
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and slate, iron, and "other" sculpted monuments and common gravestones have Hebrew, Romanian, and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, individual tours and private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel and a sculpted column with flowers; and a shield shape monument. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
He visited the site August 30, 2000 and interviewed Kiss Jolan. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 24 January 2009 04:47|