|PERIAM: Timis County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0636
The cemetery is located at Periam, 1963, judet Timis, Transylvania, Romania. Alternate names are Perjamos (Hungarian) and Perjamosch (German.) 4603 2052, 277.8 miles WNW of Bucharest and 22 km from Sannicolaul Mare. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 143, was 68 in 1900, and 25 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in second half of 19th century
The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A masonry wall surrounds the site with a gate that locks. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 21 x 14 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1874. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and concrete flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed. Some have metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, and Hungarian. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential and local cemetery. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years or occasionally in the last ten years. [sic] Maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Timsoara. No structures. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited and completed survey in 23 September 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Lupsa Ioan in Periam. [January 2003]