|PAULIS: Arad judet, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0041
The cemetery was located at Paulis, the western side of the village, neighboring the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic cemeteries, 2898, judet Arad, 4607 2135, 248.3 miles WNW of Bucharest and 13.6 miles ESE of Arad. Alternate names: Paulis (Hungarian), PAULISUL-NOU, and PAULISU NOU. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 33 abd by 1910 census was: 27. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1950. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 18 m X 20 m. Six stones are visible, all in original location. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble and "other" flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have metallic elements other than bronze or iron. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the never vandalized cemetery property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agriculturaland other cemeteries. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
He visited the site August 30, 2000 and interviewed Bradiu Maria [January 2003]