US Commission No. ROCE-0252 Map
Alternate Hungarian name: Panc and lcseh. Located at 47°02° 23"34°, 40 km from Cluj-Napoca in Cluj county, Transylvania. The present total town population is 2,017 with no Jews. The address of cemetery is 3434 Panticeu, jud. Cluj, Romania in County of Cluj, Transylvania, Romania.
The Census of 1850 registered 97 Jews of a total population of 3400. In 1857, there were 83 Jews of 1004. 1891 Jewish population was 96 Jews out of 1277. In 1930, there were 91 Jews. In 1940, about 200 Jews were in Panticeu. In May 1941, the Jews of Panticeu were confined to the ghetto of Cluj and deported on May 25, 29, 31 and June 3, 8, and 9 to Auschwitz. After 1945, only 8-10 persons came back. In 1960, there were only two Jewish families in Panticeu who made Allyiah. In 1837, the Orthodox Jews of Panticeu bought the land for the cemetery. Other communities from other towns use this cemetery which was 2 km. from the congregation. Professor Moldovan is working on a general urban plan for Panticeu and proposed that the cemetery be listed as a historical monument. The rural (agricultural) site is now included in the village. The isolated flat land, with no sign or marker is open with permission and reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing private property (the old road was incorporated in present properties) two access roads. A continuous fence and a (usually) unlocked gate surround the cemetery. The present cemetery size is 1005 sq.m. 108 gravestones are in cemetery including 100 in original locations. Because the graves have a double orientation, some stones are not in their original locations. 5 of the surviving stones are toppled or broken. The cemetery, dating from the 19th century, is not divided into special sections. The granite, limestone, and volcanic tuff flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves or structures. The Federation of Jewish Communities of Romania owns and uses site only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area due to the old road for access, no longer used, as well as by housing development and agriculture. It is visited rarely by private visitors. The cemetery was probably vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years. Care has included clearing vegetation and fixing wall and gate after 1970 by Cluj-Napoca Jewish Community. The Cluj Jewish congregation pays the regular caretaker. Weather erosion and vegetation are the only moderate threats.
- Local officials: Primaria Panticeu, 3434 Panticeu, Jud. Cluj, Romania, Phone: 102; Catalina Ion - mayor; Lungu Aron - vice-mayor; Pintea Parasca - secretary. Cluj-Napoca Jewish Community, str. Tipografiei, nr. 25, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Ph.: 40-64-196600.
- Regional authority: The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, str. Sf. Vineri, nr. 9-11, sector 3, Bucharest, Romania, Ph.: 40-01-6132538 / 6132538, fax: 40-01-3120869, telex: 40-01-10798.
- Interested: Dr. Moshe Carmilly Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, str. Universitatii 7-9, cam. 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Professor Ladislau Gyemant. Mircea-Sergiu Moldovan, PhD. Professor and architect, str. Paring, nr. 1, bl. A4, ap. 12, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Ph.: 40-64-161261
- Caretaker with key: Pop Nechita, nr. 308, com. Panticeu 3434, jud. Cluj, Romania
Mircea-Sergiu Moldovan, PhD. Professor and architect, str. Parîng, nr. 1, bl. A4, ap. 12, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Ph.: 40-64-161261 completed survey September 25, 1998 after a visit to the cemetery on September 14, 1998. Ion Catalina, Nechita Pop was interviewed in Panticeu.