US Commission No. ROCE-0010 -
The cemetery is located in Panade, com. Sancel, 4613 2358, 160.9 miles NW of Bucharest and 18 km from Blaj. Alternate name: Panad (Hungarian). Present town population is 5,000-25,000.
with no Jews.
- Mayor Latiu Gheorghe
- The Jewish Community of Alba Iulia, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 4, Alba Iulia, Romania. Phone: 00/40/58/817840
- The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street, no. 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania
- "A.D. Xenopol" Institute of History, Lascar Catargi Street, no. 15, 6400- Iasi Judet Iasi, Moldavia , Romania. Tel. 032/212614; e-mail:
. Director: Alexandru Zub.
- Key holder and caretaker: Popa Vasile, sat Panade, com. Sancel, judet Alba
- Interested: Abraham Geza, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 4, Alba Iulia, Romania. Phone: 00/40/58/817840
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 15 and in 1930 was 18. The cemetery was established in 1930. Last known burial was 1935. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 20 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 10 X 10 m. Two stones are visible and in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1930. Tombstones date from the 20th century.
The sandstone smoothed and inscribed and carved relief decorated tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have portraits on stones. A private individual/s owns the property used for
orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The never vandalized cemetery had no maintenance. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Lucian Nastasă, Clinicilor Street, no. 19, Cluj, Romania, tel. 064/190107. Email:
document.write( '' );
document.write( addy_text4503 );
document.write( '<\/a>' );
visited the site and completed the survey on November 2, 2000 using the following documentation:
- Tr. Rotaru (coord.), Recensamintul din 1880. Transilvania, Cluj, Edit. Staff, 1997.
- Kalman Weszpremy, A magyarorszagi zsidok statistikaja, Debrecen, 1907.
- Recensamintul general al populatiei Romaniei, 1930, vol.II, publicat de Sabin Manuila, Bucuresti, 1938.
- Lajos Venetianer, A magyar zsidosag tortenete, Budapest, 1922
- Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Istoria evreilor din Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 1994.
- Izvoare si marturii referitoare la evreii din Romania, I-III/1-2, Bucuresti, 1986-1999.
- Ladislau Gyemant,
, Evreii din Transilvania in epoca emanciparii (1790-1867), Bucuresti, Edit. Enciclopedica, 2000
On 1 November 2000, Lucian Nastasă interviewed Popa Vasile, sat Panade, com. Sancel, judet Alba. [January 2003]