PADURENI: Arad County, Transylvania Print

 

US Commission No. ROCE-0040 -

The cemetery is located in Padureni, southern exit of the village, towards Arad, neighboring the old mill, 2975, judet Arad, 4631 2130, 24.6 miles NNE. Alternate name: Erdohegy (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Burdan Gheorghe, Chisineu Cris, Infratirii Street, Garsoniere 4, phone: +40-57-520098 judet Arad
  • The Jewish Community of Arad, 10, Tribunul Dobra Street, 2900 Arad, Romania. Tel. +40-57-281310
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania,Sfintu Vineri Str., no 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania.
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street, no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder: Codreanu Pavel, the gypsy colony, Padureni, Romania

The Jewish population by 1880 census was 49 and by 1910 census was 83. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1950 The urban flat land part of a municipal cemetery has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate.

Almost totally destroyed and overgrown with vegetation, animals graze there. There is an improvised road through the cemetery. A Gypsy colony uses stones as building materials. Trucks use the site as a garbage place. Approximate pre-WWII size was larger than one hectare. Approximate post-WWII size is one hectare. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem damaging stones. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, sandstone, and "other" flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard and waste dump. Adjacent properties are agricultural and "other." Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a larger area. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been fixing gate. No care now. No structures. Security is a very severe threat; fences are down almost all around. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a serious threat; savage plants all around menace tombs. Vandalism is a very serious threat; stones are stolen for building material. Incompatible nearby planned or proposed development is a very severe threat; officials plan to build houses on the area.

Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
completed the survey on September 9, 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Coriolan Suciu, Dicţionar istoric al localităţilor din Transilvania, I-II, Bucharest, 1968
  • Marki Sandor, Arad varmegye es Arad szabad kiralyi varos tortenete, Arad, 1895
  • 1880 census, Bucharest, Edit. Staff, 1999.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucharest, 1994 (in Romanian)

He visited the site September 9, 2000 and interviewed Codreanu Pavel, Padureni. [January 2003]