|ORSOVA: Mehedinti County|
The cemetery is located at Orsova, sector Poiana Stelei, 1453, judet Mehedinti, Romania. 4443 2224, 183.0 miles W of Bucharest and 25 km from Drobeta Turnu Severin. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with 10-100 Jews.
The Jewish population by census was ten in 1889 registered and one hundred in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1994.
The urban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A masonry wall with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 60 X 53 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1880. The 19th and 20th century marble and granite flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones have inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, Romanian, and Hungarian. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.
The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery is an empty preburial house. No threats.
Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 5 July 2001 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Floarea Silvia, Calea Moldovei, no. 1, 05. 07. 2001, Orsova on 5 July 2001. [January 2003]