|ORHEIU BISTRITEI: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0166
The cemetery is located at Orheiu Bistritei, no. 97, code 4464, judet Bistrita, 4706 2435, 198.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and 19 km. from Bistrita. Alternate names are Burghalle (German) and Ovarhely (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 245 and eleven in 1930. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz.The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road,
The 19th and 20th century marble and sandstone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat or serious threat. The weather "destroyed the graves." [sic].
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 21, 2000 using the following documentation: