You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania OLTENITA: Giurgiu County
OLTENITA: Giurgiu County PDF Print E-mail

 

The cemetery is located at Oltenita, Laptari Street, no. 2, 8350, judet Giurgiu, Romania. 4405 2638, 35.8 miles SE of Bucharest and 80 km from Giurgiu. Alternate name is OLTENITAO. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Dumitru Constantin, Town Hall of Oltenita, 8350, Romania
  • The Jewish Community of Pitesti, 19 Noiembrie Street no. 1, Romania, tel.: 0040-48-632300
  • The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sfintu Vineri Street no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Street no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Caretaker: Adarjoita Adarjojel, Lapatari Street no. 2, Oltenita

The Jewish population by census was seventy in 1889 and 46 in 1930. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1959.

The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 60 X 17 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. The 20th century marble, sandstone, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated. Some have metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. No maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house. The chapel is now the caretaker's house. Security and vandalism are moderate threats.

Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Street no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 9 July 2001 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul general al populatiunei Romaniei din decembrie 1899(The
    General Census of the Population of Romania from December 1889), Bucuresti,
  • Lito-tipografia L. Motzatzeanu, 1900
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei Romaniei din 29 decembrie 1930, vol. II (The General Census of the Population of Romania from 29 December 1930, vol. II), Bucuresti, 1938
  • N. Iorga, Istoria evreilor in terile noastre (The History of the Jews of our Countries), Bucuresti, 1913.
  • M. Schwarzfeld, O ochire asupra istoriei evreilor din timpurile cele mai departate pina la anul 1850, (A look upon the Jewish History from The beginning until 1850), Bucuresti, 1887
  • C. Iancu, Evreii din Romania 1866-1919 (The Jews from Romania), Bucuresti
    1996

Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Adarjoita Adarjojel, Oltenita. [January 2003]

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution