|OGRA: Mures County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0409
The cemetery is lcoated at Ogra, Calarasi Street no. 338, cod. 4312, judet Mures, 4626 2419, 162.9 miles NNW of Bucharest and 25 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Ugra (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 3 and from 1930 census was 14. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked.Orthodox 19th century cemetery's last burial is 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 45 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are "other." Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Szekely Imre in Ogra. [January 2003]