|ODRIHEI: - Mures county,Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0408
The cemetery is located in.Odrihei, near the village, cod. 3266, judet Mures, 4624 2434, 154.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 27 km from Targu Mures. Alternate names: Vamos Udvarhely (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was four and from 1930 census was 6. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Tîrgu Mures and on May 27, 30 and June 8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked.Orthodox cemetery dates from 19th century. The isolated rural/agricultural hill has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble, and limestone gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for storage. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Pre- and post-WWII size is the same. Rarely,private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.
The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 8 August 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]