|OCNA MURES: - Alba, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0009
The cemetery is located at Str. Tudor Vladimirescu no. 43, Ocna Mures, judet Alba, 4623 2351, 173.3 miles NW of Bucharest and 35 km from Turda. Alternate names: Marosujvar (Hungarian), OCNA-MURESULUI and DEALU CIUNGII (Romanian) Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The 1857 Jewish population by census was 110, in 1880 was 103, and in 1930 was two. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1996 (Sanyi Freud.) The cemetery is 2 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone have Hebrew, Romanian, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop.
The never vandalized cemetery had no maintenance. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
On October 28, 2000, Lucian Nastasă interviewed Szabo Arpad, Str. T.Vladimirescu no. 43, Ocna Mures, judet Alba. Phone: 870995. [January 2003]