|NIMIGEA de JOS: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0162
The cemetery is located at Nimigea de Jos, near the railwaystation, code 4511, judet Bistrita at 4715 2418, 22 km. from Nasaud and 38.3 miles NNW of Reghin. The alternate names are Magyarnemegye (Hungarian) and Ungarisch Nindorf (German) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 138 Jewish inhabitants and from 1930 census was 234. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century. The isolated hill and hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 35 m. x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The 19th century granite, marble and granite, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 27, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed no one. [January 2003]