|NEGRELESTI: Bistriţa County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0161
The cemetery is located Negrilesti, near the Orthodox cemetery, code 4599, judet Bistriţa, 4716 2403, 219.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and 20 km. from Dej. Alternate name: Negerfalva (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 41 and from 1930 census was 42.In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Dej and on May 28, June 2,8 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century, Last known burial was 20th century. The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m/70m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble, limestone, and sandstone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Street no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 20, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed Moldovan Ioan, Negrilesti, no. 129 [January 2003]