|NADLAC: Arad County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0039
The cemetery is located at Nadlac, western side of the town, 2954, judet Arad, 4610 2045, 286.0 miles WNW of Bucharest and 54 km from Arad. Alternate name: Nagylak (Hungarian). Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1880 census was 266 and by 1910 census was 254. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was around 1975
An impressing wall surrounds the western side the cemetery. The Buck Adolf family crypt is impressive also. The many obelisks are in good condition. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open to all. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 1 hectare. 100-500 stones are visible, all in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and sandstone smoothed and inscribed and double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose a smaller area. [sic] Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is a preburial house and an ohel.
Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Street, Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca
He visited the site September 9, 2000 and interviewed Jamriska Pavel, Nadlac [January 2003]