|MURGENI: (judet Vaslui)|
US Commission No. ROCE-0654
The cemetery is located in Murgeni, judet Vaslui, Romania at 4612 2801, 153.4 miles NE of Bucharest and 51 km from Birlad. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by 1899 census was 109 and in 1930 was 5. The cemetery was established in the 19th century. Last known burial was the 20th century. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 3 km from the congregation that used it. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate.
Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 70 x 50 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone memorial markers and double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or letting, bronze decorations or lettering, and other metallic elements.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are very serious threats. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation is a moderate.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Irimies Vasile, com. Murgeni, judet Vaslui on September 16, 2000. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 07:07|