|MORAVITA: Timis County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0634 -
The cemetery is located in Moravita, 1930, judet Timis, Transylvania, Romania. The alternate names are Moravica, Temesmora (Hungarian), Morawitza (German.) 4516 2116, 243.5 miles WNW of Bucharest and 60 km from Timisoara. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 32, in 1900 was 21, and in 1930 was one. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Neolog cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was probably inter-war period.
The rural/agricultural hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 24 x 22 m. 1-20 stones are visible with stones in original location and1-20 stones not in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of removed stones is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing stones. Water drainage is good all year.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 1876. The 19th and 20th century marble and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and German. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years or occasionally in the last ten years. [sic] No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Security is a serious threat (no gate, and far away from the village.) Vegetation is a very serious threat (Vegetation completely envelopes the stones.)
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited and completed survey in September 2000 using the following documentation:
Claudia and Adrian Ursutiu did no interviews. [January 2003]