|MINTIU: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0158 -
[UPDATE] Photos by Charles Burns [June 2016]
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 51 and in 1930 was one Jew. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century with last known burial in 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 m x 10 m. 1-20 stones are visible, not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. Tombstones date from the 19th century. The limestone marble, granite, and limestone tombstones have only common gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 27, 2000 using the following documentation:
They interviewed no one. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Friday, 01 July 2016 04:00|