|MIHALT: Alba, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Str. Cinepei no. 549, Mihaltz, judet Alba, 4609 2344, 165.1 miles NW of Bucharest. Alternate names: Mihaczfalva (Hungarian) and Mihaltz. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 20 and in 1930 was 15. The cemetery was established in 20th century. Last known burial was about1940. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery is 15 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a no gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 20 x 50 m. Three stones are visible, all in original location. More than 75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 20th century. The 20th century limestone and sandstone boulders, flat shaped, and smoothed and inscribed gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have portraits on stones. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The never vandalized cemetery had no maintenance. Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Barna Gheorghe, Str. Cinepei no. 549, com. Mihaltz, judet Alba. [January 2003]