|MICULA: Satu Mare County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0559
The cemetery is located at Micula, 3994, judet Satu Mare, 4754 2257, 282.8 miles NNW of Bucharest and 16 km from Satu Mare. Alternate name: Mikola (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 160, by 1900 census was 142, and in 1930 was 119. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Satu Mare and on May 19, 22, 26, 29, 30, 31, and June 1 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox, Hasidic cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land cemetery has sign in Romanian mentioning Jews. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 56 x 12 m. 20-100 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
Cannot determine if cemetery has/had special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, and concrete flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey 23 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]