|MICASASA: Sibiu County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Micasasa, near the village, cod 3163, judet Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania. Alternate names are Mikeszasza (Hungarian) and Feigendorf (German.) 4605 2407, 149.2 miles NW of Bucharest and 27 km from Medias. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The Jewish population by census was 64 in 1850, 45 in 1880, 32 in 1910 and twelve in 1930. The Jews from Sibiu County, Transylvania were taken by force and introduced into forced work detachments. They were deported all over the country, and especially in Moldova, between 1942-1944.
The unlandmarked Orthodox 19th and 20th century cemetery on isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. The pre- and post-WWII size was 20 m x 20 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are and 1-20 stones are not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. No care now. No structures.
Oprea Ioana, B-dul 21 Decembrie, no. 13-15, ap. 6, Cluj Napoca, tel: 190 849 and Popa Cosmina, Tatra Str., no. 4, ap. 11, Cluj Napoca, tel: 128 764 visited and completed the survey on December 12, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]