|MERCUREA NIRAJULUI: Mures County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Miercurea Nirajului, near the village, cod 4333, judet Mures, 4632 2448, 158.1 miles NNW of Bucharest and 31 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Szereda (Hungarian). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 31 and in 1930 was 211. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures and on May 27, 30, and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. Tombstones date from the 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and sandstone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been re-erecting and cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 August 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Tecan Ioan, Miercurea Nirajului. [January 2003]