MATEI VOEVOD: Dimbovita County Print

The cemetery is at Zorilor Str. no. 30, 0200, judet Dimbovita, Romania. 4456 2527, 47.0 miles NW of Bucharest and 48 km from Ploiesti. Alternate name is Targoviste. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.

  • Mayor Furcoi Iulian, Town Hall of Targoviste, Independentei Str., no. 1, tel.: 0040-45-211428
  • The Jewish Community of Pitesti, 19 Noiembrie Str. no. 1, Romania, tel.: 0040-48-632300
  • The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str. no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str. no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Caretaker: Dumitrache Mariana, Zorilor Str. no. 30, Targoviste

The Jewish population by census was 327 in 1889 registered 327 and 514 in 1930. The Orthodox The cemetery was established in second half of the 19th century. Last known burial was 1980. Jewish community that also used this cemetery: Pucioasa. The unlandmarked cemetery is 16 km from the congregation that used it, Targoviste.

The isolated urban hillside cemetery has sign in Romanian. that mentions Jews. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 120 x 60 m. 20-100 stones are visible. 20-100 stones are in original location. 20-100 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 1871. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and sandstone, slate, and concrete memorial markers are flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated, and double tombstones. Some have iron decoration or lettering, portraits on stones, and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. The cemetery has Holocaust memorial. No known mass graves.

The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery Maintenance has been cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular caretaker paid by the Jewish community of Pitesti. No structures. No threats.

Ursutiu Claudia, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, tel: 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey on 6 July 2001 using the following documentation:

  • Recensamantul general al populatiunei Romaniei din decembrie 1899 (The
    General Census of the Population of Romania from December 1889), Bucuresti,
  • Lito-tipografia L. Motzatzeanu, 1900
  • Recensamantul general al populatiei Romaniei din 29 decembrie 1930, vol. II (The General Census of the Population of Romania from 29 December 1930, vol. II), Bucuresti, 1938
  • N. Iorga, Istoria evreilor in terile noastre (The History of the Jews of our Countries), Bucuresti, 1913.
  • M. Schwarzfeld, O ochire asupra istoriei evreilor din timpurile cele mai departate pina la anul 1850, (A look at the Jewish History from The beginning until 1850), Bucuresti, 1887
  • C. Iancu, Evreii din Romania 1866-1919 (The Jews from Romania), Bucuresti
    1996

Claudia & Adrian Ursutiu interviewed Dumitrache Mariana in Targoviste. [January 2003]