|MATEI: Bistrita County|
US Commission No. ROCE-0156
The cemetery is located at Matei, no. 224, code 4455, judet Bistrita, 4659 2416, 197.0 miles NNW of Bucharest and 34 km from Bistrita. Alternate names are Mathesdorf (German) and Szaszmate (Hungarian.) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was three and 39 in 1930. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and on June 2 and 6 were deported to Auschwitz. The Orthodox unlandmarked The cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural hillside site has no sign or marker. Reached via private road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 15 m x 10 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The 18th century granite, flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Vegetation is a serious threat. Vegetation blocks access to the cemetery.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 25, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]