US Commission No. ROCE-0154
The cemetery is located in near the village, Magurele, code 44, judet Bistrita, Romania at 4701 2430, 19.7 miles NNW of Reghin and 22 km from Bistrita. The alternate names are Serling (Hungarian), Scherling(German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Mayor Zbruj Octavian, Santioana
- The Jewish Community of Bistrita, Gr. Balan Str., 71, cod 4400, Bistrita, Romania
- The Federation of The Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str. no. 9-11, sect. 3, Bucharest, Romania
- "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str. no. 7-9, room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Director: Ladislau Gyemant,
- Key holder and caretaker: Ilies Pavel, Magurele no. 62
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 9 Jewish inhabitants and in 1930 was 11 Jewish inhabitants. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century with last known burial in 1994 (Grunhut Abraham.)
The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker.
Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 50 m x 15 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections. The 18th century marble, limestone, and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for an orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures. Security is a serious threat (gate does not lock.)
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
- The General Census of the Population of Transylvania- 1850, Ed. Staff, 1996
- Ernest Wager, Historisch- Statistisches- Ortsnamenbuch fur Siebenburgen-, Ed. Bohlau, 1977
- Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Istoria evreilor din Transilvania (1623-1944), Bucharest, 1994
- Coriolan Suciu, Dictionar istoric al localităţilor din Transilvania, I-II, Bucharest, 1968.
- Recensamintul general al populatiei din Transilvania-1930 decembrie 29, I-III, Bucharest, 1938
They interviewed Nicoara Maria, Magurele. [January 2003]