|MAGHERANI: Mures County, Transylvania|
US Commission No. ROCE-0404
The cemetery is located in Magherani near the village, cod 4340, judet Mures, 4634 2454, 158.3 miles NNW of Bucharest and 40 km from Targu Mures. Alternate name: Magyaros (Hungarian). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 10 and in 1900 census was 10. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Targu Mures; and on May 27, 30 and June 8, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road,
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone, marble and granite common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. ("very old gravestones.")
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 10 August 2000 using the following documentation:
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Sauber Bernath, Jewish Community of Mures, Targu Mures. [January 2003]