|MAERISTE: Salaj county [Krasznahidvég, Bruckend, Criștelec (Kerestelek), Doh (Doh), Giurtelecu Șimleului (Somlyógyőrtelek), Măeriște, Mălădia (Maladé) and Uileacu Șimleului (Somlyóújlak)]|
Măeriște (Hungarian: Krasznahidvég; German: Bruckend) is a commune composed of six villages: Criștelec (Kerestelek), Doh (Doh), Giurtelecu Șimleului (Somlyógyőrtelek), Măeriște (43 km from Zalau), Mălădia (Maladé) and Uileacu Șimleului (Somlyóújlak). with an area of 74.97 km2 (7,500 ha), is in the NW part of the county in the hydrographic basin of the Crasna River. 47°19′31″N 22°48′37″E
COMUNITATEA EVREILOR ZALAU
DAN HAS, Presedinte
Telefon : +40 744 647 119
Cristelec (Kerestelek) has a Jewish cemetery. See Blog: jewish-salaj.BlogSpot.ro for photo [Jan 2017]
Doh has a Jewish cemetery. See Blog: jewish-salaj.BlogSpot.ro for photo [Jan 2017]
CEMETERY in Maeriste:
US Commission No. ROCE-0477
The cemetery is located near the Orthodox cemetery, Maeriste, code 4792, judet Salaj, Romania at 4719 2248, 254.5 miles NW of Bucharest and 38 km from Zalau. Alternate Hungarian name is Krasznahidveg. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 67, in 1857 was 17, in 1880 was 38, in 1900 was 21, in 1910 was 15 and in 1930 was 6. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and were deported to Auschwitz on May 31, and June 6 and 8.
The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century with last known burial in 20th century. The rural/agricultural hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 750 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and sandstone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. No structures. Vegetation is a moderate threat graves.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 29 September 2000 using the following documentation:
Popa Cosmina & Oprea Ioana interviewed Grad Cornel, Inspector for Culture. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 January 2017 14:44|