|LUNCA BRADULUI: Mures County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Lunca Bradului, near the village, cod 4227, judet Mures, 4657 2506, 180.3 miles NNW of Bucharest and 40 km from Reghin. Alternate name: Palota (Hungarian) Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 41 and in 1930 was 175. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Reghin and on June 4, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated hill and hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 30 m x 5 m. 1-20 stones are visible, not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa and Ioana Raiciu interviewed Dragan Susana, Lunca Bradului [January 2003]