|LOPADEA NOUA: Alba, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located in Lopadea Noua no. 303, Judet Alba, 4617 2349, 169.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 20 km from Aiud. Alternate name: Lapad (Hungarian). Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was seventeen and in 1930 was six. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century with Last known burial was 20th century.
The rural/agricultural hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, (Szolga Istvan) access is open with permission. A fence with a no gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 40 x 70 m. 1-20 stones are visible, all in original location. 50%-75% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century marble, limestone, and sandstone gravestones are boulders, flat shaped, and smoothed and inscribed gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions. Some have portraits on stones.
The national Jewish community owns the property used for orchard. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Pre- and post-WWII size is the same. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Lucian Nastasă interviewed Benedek Simion, com. Lopadea Noua, no. 303, judet Alba; Szolga Istvan, com. Lopadea Noua, no. 305, judet Alba. [January 2003]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 07:00|