|LIVEZI (Bacău judet)|
Also see BACĂU. US Commission No. _
The cemetery is located in com. Livezi, Bacău judet, Moldavia region at 46°28' 26°52', 31 km from Bacău. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1899 Census registered 17 Jewish inhabitants. The 1930 Census registered 11 Jewish inhabitants. This Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial in cemetery was in 20th century. The unlandmarked Conservative cemetery was 2 km from the congregation that used it.
The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. Reached by turning directly off a public road, the site has a gate that does not lock. The pre- and post-WWII size is 100 m X 40 m. 20 to 100 tombstones are visible in the cemetery. 1 to 20 are not in original location. More than 75% are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
Tombstones date from the 19th to 20th century. The limestone, sandstone, and other material tombstones are rough stones or boulders, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, and flat stones with carved relief decoration, some with portraits on stones. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and Romanian. The national Jewish community owns the cemetery property used for agricultural purposes.
Adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Rarely, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally. No maintenance. An unpaid caretaker exists but no care. No structures. Open access/security are serious threats. Weather erosion, vegetation, and vandalism are moderate threats.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 06:59|