|LAZURI: Satu Mare County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located in Lazuri, 3991, judet Satu Mare, 4751 2252, 282.0 miles NNW of Bucharest and 6 km from Satu Mare. Alternate name: Lazari (Hungarian), Lazar. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The 1880 Jewish population by census was 37, by 1900 census was 38 and in 1930 was 48. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Satu Mare and on May 19, 22, 26, 29, 30, 31, and June 1 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox, Hasidic cemetery was established at end of the 19th century. Last known burial was inter-war period.
The rural/agricultural flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre-WWII size is unknown. Approximate post-WWII size is 30 x 25 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year.
Cannot determine if cemetery has/had special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from second half of the 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone and concrete. flat shaped, smoothed and inscribed, and carved relief-decorated common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves.
The local Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and orchard. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones, cleaning stones, and clearing vegetation. Current care is regular unpaid caretaker. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat.
Claudia Ursutiu, Pietroasa Str. no. 21, 3400 Cluj Napoca, Romania, tel. 0040-64-151073 visited the site and completed the survey 23 July 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]