|ILVA MICA: Bistrita County, Transylvania|
The cemetery is located at Ilva Mica, near the village, cod 4540, judet Bistrita, 4719 2440, 210.7 miles NNW of Bucharest and 21 km from Nasaud. Alternate name: Kisilva (Hungarian), Kleinilva (German). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1857 Jewish population by census was 16, in 1880 was 14, and in 1900 was 35, and in 1930 was 30. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Bistrita and in June 2-6, 1944 were deported to Auschwitz. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 20th century.
The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open with permission. A fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 10 m x 15 m. 1-20 stones are visible, some not in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is good all year. No special sections.
The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century granite, marble, and limestone common gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a village setting with houses, gardens, orchards, and pastures. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never vandalized cemetery maintenance has been clearing vegetation Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by unpaid individuals. No structures.
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Raiciu, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on July 26, 2000 using the following documentation:
No interviews. [January 2003]