|ILISUA: (Salaj county-Transylvania)|
The cemetery is located near the village of Ilisua, code 4775, judet Salaj, Romania, 4718 2251, 252.1 miles NW of Bucharest and 33 km from Zalau. The alternate Hungarian name is Ilosva. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The 1850 Jewish population by census was 5, in 1857 was 6, in 1880 was 9, in 1900 was 23, and in 1910 was 16. In May 1944, the Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Cehei, then in Simleul Silvaniei and were deported to Auschwitz on May 31 and June 6 and 8.
The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century with last known burial in 20th century. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by a public road, access is open to all. A fence with a non-locking gate surrounds the site. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size is 400 m. 1-20 stones are visible. 1-20 stones are in original location. 1-20 stones are not in original location. 25%-50% of the stones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is good all year.
No special sections. The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th and 20th century limestone flat shaped and smoothed and inscribed common gravestones have inscriptions in Hebrew. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop at the never vandalized cemetery. No maintenance. No care now. No structures. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vegetation is a serious threat. A lot of vegetation disturbs the graves
Cosmina Popa, Tatra Str. no. 4, tel. 064/ 128764, Cluj Napoca, 3400 and Ioana Oprea, Bd. 21 Decembrie, 13-15, 064/190849, Cluj-Napoca, 3400 visited the site and completed the survey on 29 September 2000 using the following documentation:
Popa Cosmina & Oprea Ioana interviewed Grad Cornel, Inspector for Culture, Zalau on 29 September 2000. [January 2003]