You are here: Home Eastern Europe Romania ILEANDA: Salaj County
ILEANDA: Salaj County PDF Print E-mail

 

The cemetery is located on the place called Dreahota, Ileanda, 4679, judet Salaj, 4720 2338, 232.7 miles NNW of Bucharest and 40 km from Dej. The alternate Hungarian name is Nagy Ilonda. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Mayor Pop Gheorghe, Ileanda, at the entrance of the national road
  • The Jewish Community of Cluj, Tipografiei Str. 25, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Tel. 0040-64-196600
  • The Federation of the Jewish Communities of Romania, Sf. Vineri Str., no. 9-11, Sector 3, Bucharest, Romania
  • "Dr. Moshe Carmilly" Institute for Hebrew and Jewish History, Universitatii Str. no. 7-9, Room 61, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Director: Ladislau Gyemant, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Key holder and caretaker: Pop Nicolae, Ileanda no. 93.

1857 Census showed 59 Jew and in 1930 was 300 Jews. The Jews were gathered in the ghetto of Dej in May 1944 and deported to Auschwitz between May 28 and June 8, 1944. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was established in 19th century. Last known burial was 1940. Somcuta Mare also used this cemetery, 40 km from the congregation that used it.

The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached via private property, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate. Approximate pre- and post-WWII size was 40 ari [sic]. 100-500 stones are visible in original location. Less than 25% of the stones are toppled or broken. Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage is a constant problem. No special sections.

The oldest known gravestone dates from 19th century. The 19th century marble, granite, sandstone, and "other" (stones from river) gravestones are boulders, flat shaped, and smoothed and inscribed and double tombstones. The gravestones have Hebrew inscriptions. The national Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors stop. The never-vandalized cemetery maintenance has been re-erection of stones and clearing vegetation. Pop Nicolae said that every year, work is done because the field is eroding Current care is unpaid regular caretaker. No structures.

Assistant Professor Alexandru Pecican, Almasului Str., Bl. R1, apt. 14, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania visited the site and completed the survey on April 14, 2000 using the following documentation:

  • Otto Mittelstrass, Historisch-Landeskindlicher Atlas von Siebenburgen. Ortsnamenbuch, Heidelberg, 1992
  • The General Census of the Population of Romania - December 29, 1930, I-III, Bucharest, 1938
  • Ernst Wagner, Historisch-statistisches Ortsnamenbuch fur Siebenburgen, Koln-Vienna, 1977.
  • Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. History of the Jews of Transylvania (1623-1944), Bucharest, 1994 (in Romanian)
  • He interviewed Pop Nicolae. [January 2003]

     
    Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution